This special project aims at contributing to break the vicious cycle of impunity in Indonesia. Stakeholders will be both Indonesian human rights defenders and international human rights workers around the globe, with a more than superficial interest in either impunity as such, or in human rights violations in Indonesia in general. This website is an initiative of Martha Meijer, whose background you can read in her curriculum vitae here and in an overview of her experience here.
The information on this website is all coming from public sources, and as such does not contain new information. The idea is that the listing of different human rights violations through the years may show patterns of causes and opportunities for perpetrators of human rights violations to go unpunished. Also it aims at contributing to the work of Indonesian human rights organisations.
The project outline:
1. Shared ambition: We propose as an initial formulation of the shared ambition, that this project will contribute to activities against impunity of those responsible for human rights violations in Indonesia,
- by sharing information and making analyses on violations and suspects and
- by developing possible ways for achieving justice for the victims.
The fight against impunity is based on international human rights standards and uses legal methods for change. This legal approach of the project explicitly excludes any violence or other offences.
2. Shared objectives:The shared objectives of this special project are proposed to be formulated as follows:
- To contribute to research on the occurrence of violations of human rights;
- To contribute to analyses of mechanisms of impunity and possible suspects of these violations – be they state or non-state actors;
- To explore new ways for achieving justice for the victims.
3. Possible strategies: In order to contribute to the realisation of the above mentioned objectives, possible strategies are:
- To build a website for information, exchange and analysis on impunity;
- To achieve a cooperation among stakeholders in exchange and analysis;
- To stimulate public debate on the importance for breaking the cycle of impunity;
- To consider lobby activities for new legislation or changes in existing laws that prevent impunity;These objectives and strategies will be examined every two or three years as to their appropriateness, effectiveness and priority.
3.1. The website: The proposed website www.stopimpunity.org will contain news and facts, legal background information, analysis on impunity and exchange by stakeholders. The information on human rights violations that can be found will already have been publicized, and the sources will be clear. The website will have an open and publicly accessible approach with a discussion forum and will use a diversity of sources.
3.2. The cooperation: The project aims at forming a community of human rights defenders who cooperate in this context of working towards truth and justice. The added value of this cooperation is the possibility to share information, to have better analyses and develop creative measures to fight impunity. It will stimulate interaction needed for developing a monitoring instrument; and it will create the possibility to multiply the public debate on impunity. The cooperation will be realised by use of mail and website.
3.3. The public debate: In a society where finding the truth about human rights violations and making it public still is an uncommon effort, attitudes will only be changed by addressing the issue in a wider circle than only human rights victims and human rights defenders. These efforts for having an open and public debate will be initiated by Indonesian human rights defenders because they can assess what is feasible.
3.4. The lobby for better laws: The expertise that will be shared among the participants in the web forum is a starting point for the efforts to influence legislation that intend to prevent impunity on a more structural basis. A monitoring instrument will be helpful to identify weak spots in current legislation and priorities for improvements.