The 2005 report by the Factfinding Team (Tim Pencari Fakta, TPF) on the murder of human rights defender Munir Said Thalib in 2004 has to be published by the Indonesian goverment. This was the judgment in October 2016 by the Public Information Commission, an independent body deciding on the transparency of governmental information. The State Secretariat that is responsible for the Presidential procedures quickly announced the TPF report had got lost since 2005. The report is supposed to contain information that can be considered as new evidence, sufficient to re-open the investigation and eventual prosecution of the alleged perpetrators of the murder of Munir on 6 September 2004.

KIP tells govt to reveal Munir report after 12 years in darkness

The Jakarta Post, 10-10-2016
The Public Information Commission (KIP) ended the state’s 12-year silence on the murder of prominent human rights defender Munir Said Thalib on Monday by ordering the government to officially reveal the investigative findings of a fact-finding team into the case. The KIP stipulated that all the findings the team had submitted to the government in 2005 were public information. Thus the government is obliged to disclose everything to the public. The government is also obliged to explain why the fact-finding team’s report secret has been kept secret for years. The KIP specifically delivered its ruling to the State Secretariat as it was in charge of the government’s administrative paperwork, including any documents sent to the president.
“The State Secretariat must disclose all requested information through any means of communication it utilizes, either electronically or non-electronically,” KIP commissioner Evy Trisulo Dianasari said when reading out the ruling. This ruling was made in response to a public information request jointly filed by Munir’s widow Suciwati, the Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence (Kontras) and the Jakarta Legal Aid Institute (LBH Jakarta) in April 2016.

Update 07-06-2017:

The Indonesian government has appealed against the KIP decision at the Administrative Court of Jakarta (PTUN). The government has won this appeal on  16 february 2017. See: https://news.detik.com/berita/d-3424413/ptun-batalkan-putusan-kip-soal-munir-kontras-ajukan-kasasi. Kontras has appealed to the Supreme Court.

Jokowi Allows Legal Process on Missing Documents of Munir’s Case

The Jakarta Globe, 14-10-2016
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has allowed a legal process to be conducted against the missing investigation documents related to the murder of prominent human rights defender Munir Said Thalib. The missing documents had been submitted to former president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono at the State Palace in 2005. “If there is a new novum [existing evidence before a trial process], conduct the legal process,” Jokowi said at Merdeka Palace, Jakarta, Thursday (13/10). The president also ordered a search for the missing documents submitted by the original fact-finding team on Munir’s case. “I have ordered the Attorney General [HM Prasetyo] to find and locate the results of the fact-finding team, as it is not available at the State Secretary Ministry,” Jokowi added. Previously, the coordinator of the Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence (KontraS) Haris Azhar urged the government to investigate the whereabouts of the documents.

Officials to Face Criminal Charges If They Can't Locate Munir Murder Files

The Jakarta Globe, 15-10-2016
Government officials could face criminal charges if they are unable to find missing investigation files on the 2004 murder of human rights activist Munir Said Thalib, activists say. Public information commissioners earlier this week ordered the government to declassify the files, but the State Secretariat claimed it does not have them or know their whereabouts. Officials are still searching for the files amid pressure from human rights activists, who insisted the files had been submitted by a fact-finding team to former president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in 2005. If officials fail to find the files, they could be charged under the 2008 law on public information transparency, a lawyer from the Jakarta Legal Aid Institute (LBH) Ucok Sigit said.
"They should be held responsible. The public will lose out if the documents can't be found. That would be a criminal offense," Ucok told the press on Friday (14/10). The law stipulates that individuals who intentionally dispose of public documents could face up to two years in prison and be fined Rp 10 million ($765). Citing a 2005 presidential regulation on the State Secretariat, human rights group Kontras activist Putri Kanesia said the institution's response to the order was "contradictory."

The regulation says the secretariat is tasked with providing technical and administrative assistance to the president and vice president. Human rights groups are still waiting for the government's response before determining their next move, Kontras coordinator Haris Azhar said. "The state must make an official announcement on the current status of the documents regardless of them having gone missing or not," Haris said. Activists have long demanded that the government find Munir's real killer. The activist was poisoned with arsenic during a layover in Singapore in 2004 before boarding a flight to Amsterdam. Former pilot Pollycarpus Budihari Priyanto was sentenced to 14 years in prison for premeditated murder in the case, but the alleged masterminds behind his murder remain unknown.

The results of the investigation by the fact-finding team have never been made public.

Update:

The Indonesian government has appealed against the KIP decision at the Administrative Court of Jakarta (PTUN). The government has won this appeal on  16 february 2017. See: https://news.detik.com/berita/d-3424413/ptun-batalkan-putusan-kip-soal-munir-kontras-ajukan-kasasi. Kontras has appealed to the Supreme Court.